Anyway, it's been a good couple of weeks. Last week was:
The other ELL teacher and I spent days pouring over all of the data available to us: language proficiency scores, state test scores, in-house reading and math scores, and some other measures to figure out how were are going to service all 191 of our students this year. That's very close to 50% of our student population!
We have 2 parapros, one "interventionist" (hired through our sub system), and the 2 of us. We decided that I will continue co-teaching, she will continue to focus on small group literacy instruction, and we will use our paras for very specific interventions. One will be targeting oral language and writing, one will target phonics and vocabulary, and one will target the language of math. We divided the kids up based on what we felt they needed the most, and we are excited to get started! In true public school fashion, however, we still have yet to hire a para and the interventionist. So..... patiently we wait :)
Here is a little screenshot of our spreadsheet. It's not quite up to date yet - I still need to mark students who also receive speech services, other interventions (outside of ELL interventions), and what ELL intervention the student will receive when our 2 "yet to be hired" people show up. Hopefully this gives you a good look at how we've started organizing things.
I would say this year is off to a great start!